I love lasagna, but the ingredients read like a list of forbidden foods: pasta, tomato sauce, ricotta cheese. Luckily, you don’t need any of those to make a delicious lasagna. I’ve found that thinly-sliced sweet potatoes work as a perfect substitute for noodles. Beyond that, the flavor possibilities are endless!
Olive oil spray, plus more for baking dish
¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
2 cups artichoke hearts (frozen and thawed is best, canned or jarred are okay too, provided they are packed in brine), finely chopped
4 cups baby spinach, rinsed
1 cup cremini mushrooms, finely chopped
1 teaspoon iodized sea salt
½ teaspoon black pepper
½ teaspoon fresh thyme
Zest of 1 lemon
1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, minced
1 can unsweetened coconut cream
2 cups sheep’s or goat’s milk ricotta, or 3 cups coconut yogurt
2 omega-3 or pastured eggs or VeganEggs
1 cup Classic Basil Pesto
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon paprika
¼ cup Parmesan cheese (optional), plus additional to sprinkle on top
1 large sweet potato, thinly sliced (as lasagna noodles; using a mandoline helps)
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Spray a 9 × 13-inch baking dish with olive oil and set aside.
- In a large sauté pan, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the artichokes, spinach, and mushrooms, and cook, stirring frequently, until tender.
- Add the salt, pepper, thyme, lemon zest, and rosemary, and cook an additional 3 minutes.
- Add the coconut cream, reduce heat to low, and let simmer for 10 minutes, while you make the cheese mixture.
- In a large bowl, combine the ricotta or yogurt, eggs, pesto, garlic powder, paprika, and cheese. Set aside.
- Spoon half a cup of artichoke mixture into the baking dish, followed by the first layer of sweet potato “noodles.”
- Top with 1 cup of the ricotta mixture and another half cup of the artichoke mixture. Continue to layer until pan is full.
- Sprinkle the top of the lasagna with the Parmigiano-Reggiano, and cover pan with foil.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, then remove the foil and bake an additional 15 minutes, until cheese is golden brown.
- Remove from heat and let rest 10 minutes before serving.